Author – Akofang Kgomo
The South African Revenue Services (SARS) has announced the 2020 filing season for individual tax payers will commence on:
- 1 September to 16 November 2020: Taxpayers who file online
- 1 September to 22 October 2020: Taxpayers who cannot file electronically can do so at a SARS branch by appointment
- 1 September 2020 to 29 January 2021:Provisional taxpayers who file electronically.
Auto – assessments
SARS has continued on its drive to ease the administrative burden on taxpayers for each filing season. This season (2020) SARS will be pre-populating AND assessing individual tax returns automatically, if the taxpayers accepts the assessment by SARS that essentially will the end of the matter as far as filing of the return is concerned from the taxpayer’s point of view. The next step will be to wait for a refund (which all taxpayers LOVE) or to make a payment for any amounts due (which most taxpayers DO NOT love so much). These auto-assessments are most helpful to taxpayers whose tax returns are uncomplicated.
The auto assessments will be done in August 2020 and taxpayers will be notified by SMS by SARS so there is no need to contact them to find out if or whether you have or will be auto-assessed.
Uncomplicated tax returns
An uncomplicated tax return is one that bears the following characteristics:
- The taxpayer has received income from a single employer (One IRP5)
- The taxpayer has not received income from any other source besides the one reflected on the IRP5 mentioned above e.g. rental income from letting of an investment property
- The taxpayer does not receive any allowance or advance (e.g. travel allowance, public office allowance)
For more information please feel free to contact me